These DVDs incorporate on-site video clips, animations, and graphics to enhance the learning and viewing experience. Over the past two years, The Light Brigade staff has used its extensive experience in training and education to develop individual DVDs that focus on fiber-optic disciplines and related products. These menu-selectable DVDs allow an instructor to tailor the course and subject matter to a specific audience. In addition, each DVD includes added bonus materials such as instructor and student quizzes.
This DVD is a primer for those involved with optical fibers and fiber optic technology. Learn about attenuation, dispersion, fiber types manufacturing, specialty fibers, applications, and a historical overview.
· A brief look at the history and evolution of optical fibers.
· The advantages of optical fibers.
· Basic fiber optic theory such as wavelength, refraction, reflection, absorption, scattering and numerical aperture.
· Single-mode and multimode optical fiber structures, including cores, claddings, and coatings.
· Intrinsic and extrinsic optical attenuation.
· Single-mode fiber types and the evolution of ITU-T G.652, dispersion shifted and NZDS G.655 types.
· Types of optical dispersion including CD (material and wave guide), DMD (modal), and PMD.
· Multimode fibers, modal dispersion and bandwidth measurements.
· Application-specific optical fibers.
· WDM, CWDM and DWDM fiber issues.
· Optical windows and bands.
· Plastic optical fibers and POF applications.
· Applications including LANs, SANs, MANs, WANs, CATV/HFC, Fiber to the Home/Passive Optical Networks, industrial controls, and security applications.